HCG stands for Human Chorionic Gonadotropin and is a glycoprotein composed of 244 amino acids.
The use of HCG for weight loss was pioneered by British endocrinologist A.T.W. Simeons while studying pregnant woman on an extremely low calorie diet in India in the 1950’s. He thought it was a “medical oxymoron” that pregnant women in a 3rd world country just devastated by war, would walk everywhere, work and eat just a handful of calories produce normal weight and normal height babies. His medical logic determined that these babies should be malnourished. This led him to discover that when a woman is pregnant, her body produces HCG. Also while in India, Dr. Simeons treated “fat boys” with pituitary problems with low doses of HCG. He observed both lost fat rather than lean muscle tissue.
How does the HCG Diet work?
HCG mobilizes the adipose tissue (abnormal fat). There are 3 types of fat.
- Reserve fat which your body draws upon for energy when you skip a meal.
- Structural fat which is located in your organs, joints, and bones.
- Abnormal fat or adipose tissue which is the fat that your body “banks” in case of starvation.
A pregnant woman’s body will produce over 1 million IU (International Units) of HCG to mobilize the abnormal fat full of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients to nourish the unborn fetus. Dr. Simeons wrote, “In pregnancy, it would be most undesirable if the fetus were offered ample food only when there is a high influx from the intestinal tract. Ideal nutritional conditions for the fetus can only be achieved when the mother’s blood is continually saturated with food, regardless of whether she eats or not, as otherwise, a period of starvation might hamper the steady growth of the embryo.”
The use of HCG in conjunction with VLCD (Very Low-Calorie Diet) produces weight loss but more specifically, fat loss. The HCG Diet will reshape your body. Your body needs reserve and structural fat but does not need abnormal fat to survive. By using HCG, your body releases the unlocked calories and nutrients stored in your abnormal fat. Therefore, HCG used with VLCD will produce not only weight loss but fat loss.
HCG injections change how you lose weight!
- HCG reduces feelings of hunger. This allows one to eat very little comfortably. Why? It is believed the presence of HCG in the bloodstream takes the appetite away. In pregnant women, HCG often causes feelings of nausea in the early stages of pregnancy.
- HCG is a pro-hormone which helps the body make more hormones. Since hormone deficiency or imbalance is usually part of the reason for weight gain, whether it’s your thyroid, or menopause (or andropause), this hormone offers help.
- Only HCG injections have been shown to raise blood levels of HCG, so that is the only acceptable way of taking HCG at this time. Any other way of taking HCG, such as drops, pills, or sprays, are likely dissolved before ever reaching the blood, and they do not raise blood levels. An injection is the only proven method of taking HCG at this time. Injections should only be taken with a prescription and under medical supervision.
HCG injections keep you from losing muscle while you diet. By elevating hormone levels in the body, including testosterone, the HCG hormone creates an anabolic state (muscle-building) which counteracts the catabolic state (muscle-breakdown). There are hormone receptors on muscle fibers that respond to the increased hormone levels in patients taking the HCG hormone.
Why does that matter? During a fast, dramatic loss of pounds with crash dieting, there is a high amount of muscle that is lost. Because muscle is heavy, this loss looks good on the scale because the pounds are dropping quickly. When you lose muscle, it’s bad for your body, shape, and metabolism. The metabolism slows so much that dieter regains weight quickly, often regaining all the weight that was lost and then some. Additionally, it takes quite a bit of work to build back the muscle that has been lost.
In fact, there is more of a pure fat loss, which causes a shrinking in inches and size of clothing. The great result is that one can become leaner, in a smaller clothing size, but with more muscle. This muscle allows for a stronger metabolism and helps people maintain their weight loss long after their diet is completed.